Friday, May 29, 2009
SURE 2009 is off to a great start
This year, we have 86 fellows, placed in 30 different departments or research units. 26 colleges, including Emory and Oxford College, are represented. This brings us to over 1172 SURE students served since 1990. And this is also SURE’s 20th year.
This year’s program is funded by our Howard Hughes Medical Institute grant, with additional contributions from
• The SIRE program, Office of Undergraduate Education, Emory College
• the Graduate Division of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, and NSF’s FACES grant to the Graduate Division,
• the NIH, via its Atlanta Clinical and Translational Science Institute
• the NIH, via the training grant held by the Microbiology and Molecular Genetics program (GDBBS)
• Concerned Parents for AIDS Research is supporting 5 students to conduct research with Vaccine Center faculty
• and a number of mentors from various departments
We would also like to recognize several Emory students who received awards to support their stipends:
Esther Yim, for her award from the National Fragile X Foundation
Brian Parton, who was awarded Jackson Award for Undergraduate Research in Physics and Astronomy
Carla Heyler, recipient of the first SURE / Emory Scholars award (honoring former dean Peter Dowell)
Above is a photo of today's activity, a day-long Research Ethics training where our students bravely fought to cure the dread disease Moralysis...
Posted by Cathy at 5:57 PM